Sunday, May 13, 2007

George Best's Son's Agent Thinks We're Shite

Here's an interesting little doozy I came across in the Daily Star: Calum Best, son of the late, great footballer George Best, thinks he can give MLS a go! I had to stop typing in my name on the online Paris Hilton amnesty petition to read the story, and I'm glad I did.


(click title to read more)
For those not in the know (like myself until I googled his name ten minutes ago), Calum Best is a fashion model known for his antics in the British tabloids. He's more famous for who he's dated and for being a self-publicizing whore than for actually being talented at something. He's like the male version of Lindsey Lohan. Not surprisingly, he's dating Ms. Lohan as we speak. It would be the perfect storm of celebrity idiocy if a decent portion of America knew of his father, much less his privileged ass.

The story about him coming to MLS is nonsense to us, of course. It's hardly worth noting. It's a widely held belief among outsiders, especially the British, that our brand of soccer is crap. There's is better, I'll give them that. I'm a big fan of one and a fifth of their five national club systems (SPL's nothing after the Old Firm). Seeing how much money is being thrown at Beckham reaffirms their superiority complex. Think about it, if a Korean baseball team signed Barry Bonds for A Rod money, what would we think? Korean baseball sucks, that's what we'd think. We already knew that, but it would be in the front of our minds after the deal.

This quote from his agent did interest me:

“We’ll just have to wait and see what happens. It’s certainly an option for him.”
The ambitious Red Bulls might be a goal too far for Calum.

They have just signed former Aston Villa striker Juan Pablo Angel on a £800,000 a year contract and also boast US national team hero Claudio Reyna.
But the struggling New England Revolution could snap him up. A source there said: “If he’s a tenth as good as his old man he’ll go straight into the team."

I'm not nearly as insulted as you might think. In fact, I'm rather flattered and encouraged. The agent had to think of an eastern team off the top of his head, and New England Revolution came to mind. I attribute that to Steve Nicol's name popping up in any American transfer gossip. Granted, it's due to the fact the "reporters" are just being lazy and throw in the name of the only manager they know of. However, by hook or by crook, the Revs are getting their name out across the pond. I'll chalk that up as progress.

Besides, his agent is probably wired into the fashion world and knows of our struggles in that area. The more I think about it, the more I'm sure that's what he meant.

Here's the part that frightens me:
“It’s going to be an interesting time and he’s pencilled in for trials at both clubs."

God, I hope that's not true. Sure, we'll give anyone a trial. However, I don't want to see him penciled in as anything to do with the Revs save "Slyde the Fox celebrity host body".

Then again, wouldn't Calum Best and Stevie Nicol make a great Dennis the Menace-Mr. Wilson duo in a reality show? Just as long as they throw in a talent contest with three judges. That angle hasn't been overused yet.

3 Comments:

patrick said...

I don't think the MLS is shite, but I would if you signed that muppet

Anonymous said...

What are these Eurosnobs going to do in ten years time when the most sponsorship money out there is going to the MLS and we surpass the EPL? How are they going to live with that inevitability?

JS, Abington

Blue Blooded Journo said...

Patrick: Yup

JS: Although MLS is growing, the bigger leagues are growing at a faster rate. What will gradually change, though, is the amount of respect MLS gets as it gains exposure.